2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
JayDee
(@jaydee)
Admin
Topic starter  

YOU NEED AT LEAST ONE EXTERNAL LINK

When you launch your website, one important tip I have for you is to *get at least one external link* to your website as soon as possible.

External links, also called back links, are critical to your SEO (search engine optimization) success.

QUALITY BACK LINKS

• Google ranks websites better when other (quality) websites link to that website.
  • Google (and other search engines) basically see these external back links as a sign of authenticity. Google figures if a quality site links back to your website, your website must contain good information. I'm simplifying this explanation, of course, but in a nutshell, that is how Google and other search engines know to rank a website higher in search results.

Say, for example, that a website such as Huffington Post, or New York Times, or other high profile websites like these link back to your website. That is a PERFECT example of a high quality external link! Your ranking in search results will see a dramatic increase if you can get high quality links from these places!

While we all might never see back links from these high profile websites, we can get external links from our own blogs, as well as from other high profile blogs. As long as the website linking to your website is a quality site, you will rank higher in searches. The more external links like this you can get to your website, the better!

To obtain these back links, reach out to bloggers that write about the kinds of things you sell, and see if they will write an article about your products, linking back to your website. This is a great way to get started getting those back links.

POOR QUALITY BACK LINKS

• Not all back links are good links. Some can be bad for SEO.
  • If a poor quality website links back to your website, it can actually decrease your ranking in search results. You want to avoid these poor quality back links whenever possible.
  • Never pay for back links - Google will lower your ranking when it discovered paid back links.

I hope this information is helpful! Establish those links!

"If it isn't working the way you're doing it, do it a different way."

JayDee
(@jaydee)
Admin
Topic starter  

Magazines that include products and articles about things you sell on your website are another great source for back links.

I've been fortunate to have my shop featured in Country Living Magazine, Lonny Magazine, Antique Trader, Apartment Therapy, and other high profile websites. When these places include my products in their articles, I always ask them to include a link back to my website. These back links definitely help!

"If it isn't working the way you're doing it, do it a different way."

ReplyQuote